Elections in Chile
Gabriel Boric won this year’s presidential elections in Chile. He is known to be a former student activist and won 56 percent of the votes. President Boric’s opponent Jose Antonio Kast, a more conservative politician, was able to capture the remaining 44 percent of the votes. After the results announcing Boric as Chile’s youngest-ever president at 35 years of age came out, Boric announced to the crowds that he was going to be “the president of all Chileans” and that he was going to do his “best to get on top of this tremendous challenge.” Boric will officially take office in March and has been called a “promising president” by some.
- A Typhoon in the Philippines likely killed more than 140 people